“A new commandment
I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also
love one another.” Jn 13:34 KJV
These words from Jesus sound like the same words he
has been saying throughout his ministry.
Aren’t they just the summary of the law reworked? “Jesus said unto him, Thou
shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with
all thy mind. This is the first
and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love
thy neighbour as thyself. On
these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.” Mt 22:37-40 KJV What is “new” about it?
It seems that what has changed was
the standard by which we measure. We
are no longer measuring by adherence to the law. We are not measuring by our own judgment and
understanding of love. We are now
measuring by the standard of Jesus’ love.
What Jesus leaves us with is a new standard of measurement and what is
that measurement?
We must look at the ministry of
Jesus to see it. He was a man who had
many friends from many walks of life. He
ate and drank with Pharisees and with tax collectors and sinners. He healed when he could, but did not let the
needs of those in need distract him from his mission. He fed the hungry, especially those who were
listening to his message.He told his followers to do good for the least of these was to do it for Jesus himself.
He forgave freely. “Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times? Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven.” Mt 18:22 KJV
He forgave freely. “Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times? Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven.” Mt 18:22 KJV
As we go through this week, may we remember that
the standard is not the one you see your brother practicing, or the government,
or even you own judgment. The standard
is Jesus.
No comments:
Post a Comment