Monday, May 13, 2013

Time



I don’t know about you, but I waste time.  If there is plenty of time (or at least some time) between the current moment and the last possible moment I could start something, then I procrastinate.  It leads to a lot of moments when I am yelling at my self, “What is the matter with you?”

A couple of weeks ago I decided to tackle my procrastination problem with a new schedule.  I realized that to really be ready with both English and Spanish preparation for a Sunday, I needed two weeks with the texts.  I set out a schedule for printing, studying, etc.  I set up a notebook with tabs for each week, including tabs for special services coming up.  It is very nice.

Everything was going according to plan until my father fell ill and had to have a by-pass and aortic valve replacement.  While I still had time, I had no ability to concentrate or to think.  I was worrying and any efforts to stop worrying were met with fierce resistance!

And so, there I was on Saturday at the church doing a Spanish language service that I was completely unprepared for.  Thankfully, I had my church around me and they were able to take care of the cracks and I did what I could.  The daughter of the woman who had died and I hugged with more mutual understanding than I probably share when we are not going through such similar things.  There was God and there was Grace.  

No plan, no schedule, not amount of preparation can truly prepare you for everything that is coming.  Instead we need to rely on other things – God, faith, family, friends, and the church.  These are what got me through the days of fear. 

I received this blessing from my seminary Dear Ward Ewing, though I’ve modified it a bit, I share it here.

Life is short,
and we do not know how much time we have
  to gladden the hearts of those
  who make this earthly pilgrimage with us,

So, be swift to love,
Make haste to show mercy . . .
Shower abundant hospitality on friend and stranger alike,
And walk in justice,
that you may follow the path of mercy and love.

And may the God who first loved you,
The God whose property is always to show mercy
The God who invites you with infinite hospitality to share eternity with him
And the God who is the measure of Justice
            Bless you, in the Name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Amen.

No comments: